Thursday, June 4, 2009

SOME GOOD READS

Hello.. I haven’t updated this blog for some days, I had problem with my connection but luckily I got it back the other day and now im back on track, Too busy with a lot of things. Heres some books that I like that had helped me past time. Some good reads maybe you’re interested. If not well sorry its my zine anyway. Kidding!!

A SHORT HISTORY OF NEARLY EVERYTHING

For the first time, my aunt gave me a book that I actually liked! This is a science book, but don’t worry, its not textbook boring. Its in fact a fun book coz the author actually has humour. Bill Bryson describes graphically and in simple terms the size of the universe, and that of atoms and subatomic particles. He then explores the history of geology and biology, and traces life from its first appearance to today's modern humans, placing emphasis on the development of the modern Homo sapiens. Furthermore, he discusses the possibility of the Earth being struck by a meteor! Yeah its kinda nerdy but believe me its good! Borrow my copy and read it! A fun way of knowing about the evolution of human, the real one!

NICO SONGS THEY DONT PLAY ON THE RADIO

Technically this is not really my book, It’s my wife’s. I wasn’t really a big fan of Velvet Underground but I could admit that this band in the long run caught my ears and could sing along from some song to the others. This is a biography of the woman who fronted Velvet Underground and considered to be one of the most influential minimalist artist of their time NICO, Or maybe until now. She’s first and foremost a junkie, As soon as she gets a video player, she watches endless cut-ups of open heart surgery and Apocalypse Now. She knows no jokes. While reading this you would immediately recognize James Young’s (the author) fondness of her. He was travleing with her so he has this day to day familiarity. Besides the highly noticeable lyrical disaster, this book is often hilarious. I love the idea of reading a book or account about a infamous and almost unheard band and their unheard tours. Drug tragedies, song and tour disasters and a lot of mishaps, which results to this funny and great piece of literature. It’s not as positive as it is more cynical this is a great little anti-tribute to a fascinating and compared to the Barbie doll inspired women of today, a more human icon of doom!! Two thumbs up!!!

URBAN RECORDINGS

Got this from friends from Zurich, this book is done by Ingo Giezendanner alias GRRRR. Its as simple as this, he illustrates all the urban spaces he goes to and doesn’t write about it . Instead he draws it by simply using a pen and a paper. All illustrations of places from Zurich via Nairobi, New York and Karachi to Cairo and New Orleans an even Manila, a unique approach to visualise the vision and feel of the artist/author, It contains drawings from the years 1998 to 2006 which provide insight into Giezendanner's entire work and places. Awarded Most Beautiful Swiss Books 2006, amazing!!!

STICK THIS IN YOUR MEMORY HOLE

A friend from Australia gave this to me and took some time before having the chance to read it. I was a bit worried because it concentrates on Australian politics which I don’t have any clue about. But I was proved wrong. It’s a book of critic and the best part is I love the authors foul mouthed approach on everything this guy dislikes. Which relates not only to the aussies but through out the world that’s surrounded by issues of politics, environment, social and cultural issues and the very fabric of our society. I love it if books are made simple in terms of words and add up the criticisms and the curses, makes it more honest and more human. I hate books that are made only for the reading capabilities of people with eye glasses.hehe good work by the author Tristan Clark.
Brings out indignation and laughter!!


EVASION

Well who’s a punk rocker who doesn’t have this book. It’s a must have!!! (punk rock 101) kidding. I read that this was from a zine to a book published by CrimethInc workers collective. Is referred to elsewhere as "Mac", "the Evasion Kid", or "Mac Evasion." He later wrote a column in the zine heartattaCk and has been identified as "Nigel Davis" in one bibliography.
Evasion catalogs the travels and exploits of a straight-edge vegan young man who decided to not get a job or go to school after high school, despite his parents' wishes. Deciding that his life, freedom, and time were too valuable to be wasted working in a job he would despise, to build profits for a company, he stepped outside of the confines of a traditional role in society.

Hitching rides, hopping trains, dumpster diving, squatting, shoplifting, contriving receipt scams, the narrator defines for himself what life should be about,in his quest to never ever work again. How I wish this is possible in my country where you have to work just to have the money to buy the rice that you need.. boohoo. You could criticize me all you want if you’re the anarcho punk of the year.,Just saying my opinion, peace. But over all one of my favourite books.

… then life began, and since then we remember each dumpster, abandoned house, and foot-chase by retail security. At night, after running around, plotting and scheming, our checklist items all crossed out, we paused to think — 'What to do tomorrow?' and the answer was always, 'As we please … (author)

Goodshit playlist: Sonic Youth ‘Sonic Nurse’ , Carry On ‘A Life Less Plagued’, Betrayed ‘Substance , Isis ‘Oceanic’ , Mxpx ‘All’

1 comment:

  1. I read evasion..wasn't really impressed by it.
    There's a lot of reasons why, but hey, everyone sees things on a different scale. I do know people who were changed by the book, so all in all, a good thing.

    ReplyDelete